Thursday, January 31, 2008

Week 30

I was supposed to post yesterday, but time got away from me again. Somehow I can not seem to get anything done even though I sit in the NICU all day. Between pumping, jumping at each alarm, changing their diapers.... wow, I'm a mom! Carrie (sister-in-law) laughed at me the other day because I was saying I didn't have time for anything even though I should have time for everything. Now I totally get what her smile was about.

My mom came to visit Tuesday and Wednesday which was really nice. She helped me put Christmas decorations away at home and then kept me company in the NICU on Wednesday. She was dying to get her hands in the isolette, but she has to wait just like everyone else... sorry mom! I think it will be a knock-down fight between Debbie and mom when it is ok for others to hold/touch them. By they way, how's the knee Debbie?

Last night David got me out of the hospital - I'll call it a date night. We went to Costco and out to eat. It was great!! It was the first time I had been "shopping" in over 2 months. And let me tell you, non-hospital food tastes really good. Leaving the hospital is hard to do, but even the doctor has told me that I have to get out sometimes for my own mental health... I guess David has gotten to him. Truthfully, it was nice.

When we got back to the hospital, we got another nice surprise. Jack and Ella were wide awake for their diaper changes/feedings... We stood and talked to them and just watch their eyes trying to take everything in. David got some video of Jack during this time, so hopefully we'll get it on the blog soon. When Jack and Ella look at us, we know that they are only seeing shades of light, but it still makes us feel like they know who we are. The next 10 weeks will be tough... I'm ready to take them home now!

We spent the night at the hospital, and did our usual routine. David reluctantly left for work, and I retreated behind the curtain to do my part (pumping). When I was finished, the nurse called me over to Jack's isolette... Jack had found his thumb. It was soooo cute to see him lying there sucking on his thumb!! It is a very average thing for most babies, but for Jack it is great progress.

Besides Jack being all cute and everything, another highlight of the day was that I got to go to a luncheon with the other NICU parents. It is always nice to meet others that are in the "same" situation. Sharing stories seems to help you realize that you're not the only ones who know the feeling of being stuck between joy and fear.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you are not alone in the NICU, that is a really great place.

so fun to hear about Jack finding his thumb! :)

yeah, we've gone grocery shopping or furniture hunting on our dates several times before when we pay a babysitter to watch our kids... amazing, you'd think we'd go see a movie or something-

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you guys are doing well! I'm glad you're getting out & about it, too. Can't believe it's week 30. They are doing so well!

Anonymous said...

Glad you got some adult time. Without it, it's so much harder to be the great mom you know is inside you. Thanks for the ongoing updates. And they're so cute!

Anonymous said...

Jason and I were glad to read that you were able to get out together. It is a very important part of being great parents as we have discovered over the past year. It is wonderful that you were able to talk with other parents in the NICU. Sharing your stories with others that understand completely has to feel good. Take care you guys, you are doing awesome!!

Crystal said...

i can't believe jack was sucking his thumb!! i bet that was the cutest thing ever.

Angela Compton said...

There used to be a NICU support group, probably still is. Check into when the babies go home. I always found my ECMO support group to be a great help. Not only is it a great resource, but is a way to get involved and give back as well.
You do have to find peace and calm now and then. It is a journey of joy, but overwhelming stress at times too. You owe it to yourselves and to Jack and Ella. Can't wait to see the video.

Anonymous said...

I require to design some simple logos for several marketing websites I am building, such as 'Travelling Review Guide'. Issue is I'm highly design challenged! That logo is just need to show the name of the website and one diagram - not complicated.

This [url=http://www.logo-design-software.net]best logo design software comparisons[/url] caught my eye. Any perfect?

What simple to handle program can you suggest that will allow me to create simple logos?

Thanks for any suggestions.