Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kangaroo care

One of the cool things that Clarian/Methodist/Riley does here is Kangaroo Care. Tonight and while they're not intubated, Kristy will get to hold them skin to skin. Amazingly, this benefits the baby as much as the mother. While a father's skin just keeps getting warmer, a mother's skin will change to keep the baby at a constant temperature. I'm sure Kristy is looking forward to more...

Speaking of kangaroos, Jack and Ella are the top baby names in New Zealand for this year. Huh. http://www.stuff.co.nz/thepress/4344683a19716.html

Addition: Jack is doing really well, but is still on the respirator. Since it is a bit more sensitive to movement due to the tube down to his lungs, the docs will probably wait to start Kangaroo Care. We're hoping that this will be sometime this weekend. He's actually gained 4 ounces and is up to 1 lb 6 oz.


7 comments:

Crystal said...

wow, that is so cool that you can hold them and it is good for them. babies love being close to their mommy. do you get to hold jack too? or is he too little?

Marcy said...

That is great that they encourage that there. I did KC with Ethan and he responded so well to it. I know Ella will do the same, and Jack will too when he is a little bigger. One day they may surprise you and just latch right on while you are holding them. Though he didn't know how to suck yet, he attempted. It was the strangest, yet most amazing feeling. I am so happy for Kristy to be able to have that experience.

Sheri said...

How wonderful! I'm sure Kristy doesn't want to stop. There is nothing sweeter than holding a sleeping baby. Good news!

Anonymous said...

I know that must be the BEST feeling in the world!! There is nothing better than holding your very own child. Jackson is still my snuggle buddy!!

Anonymous said...

what a precious picture! such a good care practice

Anonymous said...

What Joy!

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me how our God thinks of everything! Who could imagine that the physiology of a man and a woman could be as specialized as He made it. I'm referring to the way fathers' and mothers' skin reacts differently to contact.
I also wanted to let Krisy and David know that your little ones have helped me make a very important decision. It is through learning about them and praying for them that I know that I am where I belong. I recently had an opportunity to take a new job; however, through this job, I learned of your family and realize that I'm just where God wants me.
Thank you for your faithfulness!