Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Signs

Kristy and I have often questioned why God took Claire and Gracie from us so quickly. When I read this poem a couple weeks before we went to the hospital, I thought of them. At first, it was the first couple stanzas that hit me, but this morning, I realized that the last stanza was a sign telling me that He always has a plan. Claire and Gracie taught Kristy and me immeasurable lessons, but without them, Jack and Ella would not be with us today. If not for the continual checkups, we never would have found Jack's low fluid nor would Kristy have undergone an immediate c-section because she couldn't feel Jack's distress calls. And the book where I read the poem was titled Amazing Grace.

A great Hope fell
You heard no noise
The Ruin was within
Oh cunning wreck that told no tale
And let no Witness in

The mind was built for mighty Freight
For dread occasion planned
How often foundering at Sea
Ostensibly, on Land

A not admitting of the wound
Until it grew so wide
That all my Life had entered it
And there were troughs beside

A closing of the simple lid
That opened to the sun
Until the tender Carpenter
Perpetual nail it down --

Emily Dickinson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, this sounds like one of Kristy's posts :)
good stuff!

Anonymous said...

we do wish that Claire and Gracie could be here to welcome their siblings, but with tears are thankful that some lessons could be learned.

a great reunion awaits.

Steve H said...

I don't understand most poetry, but God is good and His grace is sufficient. David and Kristy, you're faith and strength have touched a lot of people. Steve H.