Monday, January 28, 2008

A Long Day for Ella

Today was a little stressful... When David and I came down from the sleep room this morning, we found out that Ella had 21 episodes (A/B) over the last 24 hours. Because of this, she was placed back on the CPAP (instead of alternating between the cannula and CPAP) for the day. She also had to undergo blood tests and another x-ray.

Fortunately, the x-ray came back normal and the blood tests did not show infection. She was, however, low on red blood cells. Therefore, she had to have a blood transfusion. Though the whole idea of have a transfusion scares me, I also understand that it is necessary in order for Ella to get stronger. She also was taken off breast milk today because her body was not processing it well. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be able to try it again.

I decided to stay at the hospital tonight just in case she needs me. I know this is very hard on David as he tries to hold everything and everyone together. I feel so guilty being off work and basically doing nothing all day while he has to make such a sacrifice. He started back to work on Thursday of last week, and if it were me, I know that I would be a mess. He hides it well, but I know it is weighing heavy on him. He splits his time between work, home, and the hospital. In all three places he takes care of everything though I am trying to work my way back into housework and being the advocate for Jack and Ella at the hospital. I've leaned on David the last 8 weeks (even more so than I did before), and he has been incredible.

We have faced so much over the last several years... despite it all, I love him even more...

Sorry to drag on and on. Here are a couple of pics David has taken the last couple of days.

Jack Kangaroo Care



Ella Chilling

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, you guys are doing awesome. Love the "chillin" pic :)

Kari Lynn said...

Be thankful you have someone to lean on. I love the chillin pic too.

Anonymous said...

I also loved the chillin pic!! I am so glad that you and Jack are now getting to enjoy holding each other. Hang in there and try to remember that both of you are doing the very best that you can and that is all that matters. You both are lucky to have each other. Jack and Ella will look back one day and see what a strong mommy and daddy they had from day one. Take care!!