Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My First Diaper

Today, besides being a roller coaster day, was exciting for me too... I got to change my first diaper.

David and I were visiting Jack and Ella just as they were doing their vital signs and diaper changes. Jack is in a very controlled environment and can't be moved, so I wasn't able to participate with anything. I did get to stroke his tiny feet, but that was all. Ella, however, is able to move much more. When the nurse asked me if I wanted to change Ella's diaper, I can't tell you how much that meant to me.

I know for most people the thought of changing diapers is a nightmare, but for David and I, it is a dream come true. Now, between the two of us, we have probably changed a total of 5 diapers (ever)... so to say we don't know what we're doing is a very accurate statement. To tell you how truly warped our view on diaper changing is, I was so excited because her diaper was a poopy one - how awesome!!

I know, I know... someday I will be so "over" diaper changing, but at this point we think of it as a miracle - yet another in this very long journey.

Tomorrow David and I move into our next "new home." We will officially be released for the maternity ward, but just plan on moving next door to the NICU. Fortunately, Jack and Ella have adjoining rooms, so David and I will each have a couch/bed area to lie down on during our habitation in the NICU.

I could go on and on about how wonderful this place is (Clarian North), but as you read through our blog, you can probably tell how highly we think of the facility and staff. The doctors, nursing staff, and support staff have made a very difficult time run as smoothly as possible. Not only are they phenomenal in their jobs but have made us feel like we are very important and do everything they can to make us feel comfortable.

Thank you for all your prayers and posts... though we don't respond directly to your comments, we definitely read them and our hearts are warmed. Jack and Ella won't get to come home until April, but we are able to face each day with hope because of the incredible people that continue to support and pray for us on this journey.

10 comments:

Marcy said...

Yeah for the diaper change!

That is awesome that they have their own individual rooms in the NICU and you'll be able to stay with them.

Anonymous said...

That was the best post yet!! I am so happy that you are able to participate in changing the diapers and you will probably be able to do even more once they are a little bit stronger. You guys are in for the best ride of your life!! It has been the most awesome
journey for Jason and I and we can't wait to share in this adventure together.

journey for Jason and I and we can't wait to share in this adventure together.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the typo above!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys Jason and I were talking about the diaper change and we were curious, do they have special diapers for the babies since they are small? We can't even imagine!

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how exciting that must have been for you after all this time. It's all about perspective! Keep enjoying those little moments. Even in their monotony, there's comfort and excitement.

kelly said...

Cherish every little milestone even the poopy diaper. They are a blessing and everyday is a new adventure.

Unknown said...

We are so happy for you all! Our family is praying, and will continue to pray for Ella and Jack's continued improvement! You are blessed and they are blessed to have you as parents!

Jay & Dianne Kokena

Anonymous said...

You moved me to tears!What a milestone and so wonderful that you've finally achieved your dream of changing your own baby's diaper! Congratulations on the progress--successfully making it through the first 48 hours and moving to the NICU with Jack and Ella. NICU staff are very special (I know from my daughter-in-law how personally they care for their little patients and their families. She recently celebrated first birthdays with two sets of twins she'd cared for a year ago--something for you to look forward to!)Prayers continue for all of you, but especially for Jack.

Anonymous said...

OKAY, so you made me bawl when I read your post.Poopy diapers are only the beginning of the amazing ride through parenthood that you are about to experience. Words can not begin to express how extraordinary happy I am for you both and I can do nothing buy continue to pray for health and happiness for you and your new family. Eric, who never really got into the whole baby thing when Ericka and Lindsey were small, has even showed interest and concerns with Jack and Ella. Maybe he is becoming a softy in his old age or it could be that he is a first time grandpa and loves watching and hearing about Jackson changing and doing so much day by day. Karen Stearley

Steve H said...

Thanks for letting us all share in your experience...poopy diapers and all!
Still reading daily and still praying, Steve H.