Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Today was a Good Day

Jack was on Vapotherm (instead of the CPAP) for two hours today and did excellently; Ella started going between the nasal canulla and CPAP every 6 hours. Needless to say, their respiratory growth is going well. The doc's goal is to start the weening process (Oxygen) for both... scary, but great progress. Jack and Ella are also taking and digesting their "food" really well. Hopefully I can keep ahead of them in that department. As you know, Ella is over 2lbs now and Jack continues to add weight as well (although he is still under 2lbs.). Those that saw them the first week or so would be surprised at their changes already.

I had a good day as well because I got to hold each of them for 2 hours! I would have never guessed how much being slobbered on doesn't bother me at all. I just love when their tiny hands press against me, and I am starting to feel their fingernails... Unfortunately the chair I sit in to hold them is very uncomfortable and leaves my back (& butt) sore for a while.

Even though it was a good day... the night wasn't. David went home to check the basement (we are paranoid about flooding), and I was going to go home after holding Jack. David and I were going to unwind and enjoy an evening with each other. However, Jack wasn't put back into his isolette until 9pm. Then the question became do I go home only to pump and go to bed, or do I just stay? I stayed... poor David got the raw end of the deal once again. Sorry doesn't cut it, but it is all I have right now.

All I can say is that for everything that he has done for me (and the babies), I can only hope to repay some of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the pull between being a mother and being a wife begins! Somehow, David strikes me as the kind that will understand. It will definitely be a switch from being just the two of you, able to do whatever you want whenever you want, to making an effort to set aside that kind of together time, but it will happen. Not always when/how you wanted or hoped, but to be able to share parenting, even when you aren't actively doing something with Jack and Ella at the same time, adds another whole dimension to your already strong relationship. So glad the kids are progressing so well. New pictures soon?

Anonymous said...

awesome news
we are so glad that you are in a good place that lets you hold them as much as possible-

:)

Marcy said...

A loving husband always understands the desire you have to be with your kids when they are in the hospital. I'm sure David was happy to hear that you weren't coming home just because it was so late, and not because you needed to stay for other reasons.

It is so good that they are growing and ready to start the oxygen weaning. Keep us posted on how they are progressing.

We will keep praying for their continued developments and increase in weight.