Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How old are they anyway?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what Jack & Ella are supposed to be doing (sleeping, eating, etc.) because of the whole prematurity thing.

Is "crying it out" ok since they are 4 months old, or is it too soon because they are 1 month old (adjusted)?

Is 4 ounces every 3 hours enough? Should I try to hold them off for 4 hours and give them more formula even if they are screaming?

Should I "force" them to take their whole bottle if they are not making past the 3 hour mark?

Do I try to refeed them if they seem to have spit-up their entire bottle or wait until the next "scheduled" time?

Should I make them follow a schedule or is on-demand feeding still appropriate?

AGHHHHH... this parenting thing is tough!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember those problems and worries!!! I was told to always use the corrected age, so I did. When weight is such an issue, the spit up thing takes on a whole new meaning! I always just did whatever Nick wanted; my grandmother always use to say that your body knows best, so I just followed Nick lead. But... I only had one!

We can't wait to see you next Tuesday! We'll help you get through the next two weeks!! We'll even feed ourselves. ☺
Hedy

Anonymous said...

I'd definitely wait on the crying it out thing. My theory, that has served me pretty well with my 2 girls, is that before they are about 8 months old they are not crying to manipulate you, they really need something. I don't think you can spoil a child at such an early age and by consistently meeting their needs they learn that their needs will be met and they are less anxious overall. I always put my girls down to sleep while they were drowsy but still awake. And both learned pretty early how to put themselves to sleep. I can count on one hand the number of times my oldest fussed when put to bed and so far the littlest one seldom fusses either.

For schedules, they might be a bit young, But I'd say try it (knowing that at first it will go awry more often than not) and the few successful days or parts of days will be the foundation for your schedule later.

I don't have any good insights on the feeding thing, but I know you'll figure out what's best.

Anonymous said...

I am 90% confident you go with the premature time frame,1 month. I had the same problem with Cassi and Connor.

Billie

Sheri said...

Trust your instincts! Do what you think they need. When in doubt...ask the doctor. It will fall into place.