Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Last Day of Work

What a day...

My day started out with a big surprise from my wonderful colleagues. A couple of the teachers I work with organized a "Happy Bedrest Party" for me. I was so overwhelmed with their generosity and kindness that I almost cried. They had collected magazines, books, movies, crafts, snacks, gift cards, and many other things in two large baskets and had them ready for me as I walked in... I work in a great place, not just because of the gifts, but because they really care. The cards, kind words, and prayers they have bestowed on David and me is incredible.




I guess I should explain the party - today was my last day of work until after the babies are born. Even though I am feeling fine right now, we figured it was better safe than sorry. My days were wearing me out more and more and based on our appointment today, it was the right decision.

I went through each class period with some sadness because as a teacher you build relationships with your students, and it is hard to see them go knowing that I'll likely not see many of them again. The kids were so sweet... if only they were like that everyday. Many gave me a hug as they left and wished me well. I have a great job!

My replacement (Andy Smith) came in for the last hour of the day to get the run down of all things Composition. I felt so sorry for him... this is his first teaching opportunity and here I am rambling on and on. I could see the "what" look on his face, but we only had so much time to get through everything. I gave him my e-mail and phone number for future issues, so I'm sure I'll here from him soon. As I left today, he was sitting at my desk - strange.

Next came the doctor's appointment. I had felt a weird pressure in my tummy several times during the day, so I was a little freaked-out hoping it wasn't contractions. With all of the activity of the day and then this feeling, I was more than wound-up when I got to the doctor's office.

My blood pressure is usually very good, but today it was high. The exam was also not as good as we had hoped. Though my cervix was still measuring in the normal range, it was shorter than before. The highlight, of course, was seeing the babies. I don't want to brag, but they looked perfect. Jack measured 9 ounces, and Ella measured 10 ounces. The doctor was pleased with everything she saw in them. Whew...

So today was very good and somewhat scary, but all in all, everyone agreed that today was a good day for me to stop working. I was told over and over that I needed to spend more time down than up. Also no unnecessary stairs or lifting (a gallon of milk is my limit). Fortunately, mom and dad are coming tomorrow to help David drag all the Christmas stuff from the basement. I officially start my modified bedrest tomorrow - wish me luck.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

take it easy, kristy. get your rest as much as you can. to suggest a few addictive things to watch... i like grey's anatomy, all seasons. 24 and lost are both very addictive, and there are several seasons to catch up on. blockbuster online is a good idea if you don't already have it. that way, you don't have to go out, you can just get the movies at your house.