Monday, December 08, 2008

What a Difference a Year Makes

December 4th was the anniversary of the beginning of my lengthy hospital stay. One year ago on the 4th, David and I went to see Dr. A for a routine ultrasound and got the surprise of our lives... Jack's amniotic fluid was down to a dangerous level, and I would have to be on bedrest at the hospital until delivery.

Of course and that time, the thought was that we were going to lose both Jack and Ella. It was much too early in the pregnancy to deliver, and there was nothing they could do to add more fluid to Jack's sac. If Jack died in utero, more than likely they would have had to deliver Ella prematurely because of the risk of infection among other issues. You know it is bad when no one in the doctor's office can look you in the eyes.

The next several days were spent in a hospital gown, hooked up to numerous IVs and monitors, wearing extremely uncomfortable tights, drenched in tears, and praying that God would not do this to us again. Thankfully, David was beside me the whole time, and Debbie (our favorite nurse ever) knows exactly what to say even when you don't think there is anything that would possibly help.

As you can imagine, this Christmas has a whole new meaning for David and I. Jack and Ella have completed us in so many ways. They've renewed my faith and my outlook on life. I look forward to every smile, every cuddle, and even the late night feedings. This will be the best Christmas ever!!

No comments: